Thursday, July 7, 2011

fern fascination


Oh fern,
how I love you!


It's my latest obsession!
I've always felt at home where the fern grows
...in delicate, shaded woodland areas
with crystal clear fresh water
and a breathe of magic!

I see them as the feathers of the plant realm,
their element being Air.
"Of feathers and fern"...don't they just fit!
Ferns are used for luck, rain making, health and protection.

They are the favourite plants of pixies
and wherever they grow you're supposed to find them nearby!

It was said that fern could open locks,

and break charms.
Curiously fairy people can not tolerate iron and nor can the fern plant.



Alchemically it was supposed to be able to convert mercury to silver.
fairy silver!

And if you're in an area full of ferns at midnight puck is supposed to appear and give you a purse of gold. If you're doing it intentionally it is called
'watching the fern.'
Collect the fern spores on midsummers eve and become
invisible!

How can one not love ferns?!

:)


2 comments:

ursulasal said...

How enchanting, Kerstin. So you .....
I fell in love with Maidenhair fern, when I first arrived in Australia.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can remember that you were partial to the maiden hair fern. It's one of my favourites too. :)

k